Breathing is the first thing we do when we are born and the last thing we do before we die. So may I ask you… How is your breathing doing? Are you breathing properly? This is a vital thing to check within yourself since our body releases 70 % of its toxins through breathing.
So imagine what can happen when you are not breathing properly:
- The nervous system becomes unbalanced – We breath an average of 20.000 times a day, and each breath has an immediate effect on the nervous system. If you don’t have a good breathing habit it will produce unnecessary tensions in your body and it will higher the levels of stress.
- The airways get tighter – It’s harder for the air to get to the lungs. To compensate, we have to work harder and breathe faster to get the same work done.
- The blood vessels constrict – It can cause higher blood pressure and end up making the heart work harder.
- Less energy is produced – Poor breathing reduces the body’s capacity to bring oxygen to the cells. The cells get stressed and has to prioritise survival instead of development.
Every single organ and processes in the body depends on oxygen.
- The brain – Uses 20% of the oxygen we consume. If there’s a shortage of oxygen the brain works slower and since the brain regulates a lot of other functions in the body these are also affected.
- The heart – Constantly active and beating about 100.000 times in a single day the heart is a huge consumer of oxygen and shortage in supply means the heart can’t pump out blood as effectively. This leads to bad circulation and the result can be cold hands and feet.
- The muscles – Oxygen shortage has a negative effect on stamina as the muscles go stiff, tense and tired faster.
So lets get practical. I have a breathing technique for you: The 21 breaths guided video. It will help you improve your breathing and it will calm your nervous system and your mind. You can download it here now. It’s free.
Let me know how it works for you in the comments below.
And if you are in Berlin we have a breathing session for women on December 13 from 5:30pm to 7pm. We will be clearing our energy through the pranayama yoga meditation, getting ready to fly high in 2015. To know more about it click here.
Have a great week!